Sunday, April 12, 2009

What? No Bacon??




We are a bacon & onion pizza family. Our local shop offers a 2-for-1 deal, and we always get bacon & onion on both pizzas. A few months ago I started making my own [full disclosure: I still buy the dough from Trader Joe's]. I've been getting better and better at it. I planned to make pizza this weekend, but somehow never made it to the country store where we buy our bacon. So what to do?

According to the package directions, take the dough out of the fridge and let it set at room temperature for twenty minutes. While that's happening, put the pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 450F.

Warm olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add two small chopped onions. Cook until transparent. Add 7 or 8 chopped garlic cloves and about 2 cups of chopped chard (full disclosure: I used it straight from the Trader Joe's Rainbow Chard bag]. Stir.

Add fresh ground black pepper, salt, red pepper flakes, rosemary, basil, oregano. Stir and continue cooking until it smells delicious and the greens have shrunk. Add small splash of balsamic vinegar. Cook & stir until it's done sizzling. Turn off heat, but keep pan warm on the stove top.

Stretch & roll out dough(s). I made one a rectangle and put it on an oiled baking sheet (with edges). The other I made a circle on my cornmeal-sprinkled wooden pizza palette.

For cheese, I grated a blend of mozzarella, cheddar, and parmi.

For sauce, I just used crushed tomatoes (no salt added) straight from the can. There was enough seasoning on the greens to flavor everything perfectly.

Assemble and bake until bubbly and golden.

Yum.


Peace.

No comments: