Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Mojito Scones?





Okay, not really.

I used my old standby recipe, except instead of ginger & lemon, I used mint & lime. And instead of buttermilk or a yogurt/milk blend, I used coconut milk.

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup granulated sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt*
* 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces*
* 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, chopped into small pieces*
* 1 large lemon, zest of*
* 2/3 cup buttermilk*

For the icing, I just used powdered sugar & lime juice. The girls like a little food coloring with their meals, what can I say?




Enjoy.



*I only had salted butter, so I used that & omitted the salt. I used 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (and cursed myself for not going out to the garden to get fresh mint to make a syrup or perhaps try shredded?). I used the zest of 3 limes. I used nearly 2/3 cup coconut milk & made up the rest with the juice of 1 lime.



Update: I just went to get another and the girls had eaten nearly all of them! They are a hit.


Peace.

2 comments:

Karin said...

So you put the lime in the coconut?

ina said...

Yes, yes I did. And not for the first time. Though I didn't have to call the doctor. I'm finding I really like how coconut milk fluffs baked goods. This is the first time I added mint, though.