Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Brad and a Bear

Brad Kessler, author




Tuesday night, my friend, Brad, gave a reading for his new book, Goat Song, A Seasonal Life, A Short History of Herding, and the Art of Making Cheese, at The Odyssey Bookshop in South Hadley. He made the idea of herding goats sound very appealing. Of course, I have been longing to move to Vermont since I first camped at Merck Forest twenty years ago. After turning most of my yard into garden this year, I have been imagining what I could do with a real piece of land. I look forward to reading Brad's book, where he explores the historical and literary evolution of the relationship between humans and goats.

In our town, Wednesday morning, we had a little peek at the relationship between humans and bears. As I was drawing the day's self portrait, I looked out the window of my studio and saw a small bear sauntering down the street, passed my flowers. I grabbed my camera, but by the time I got outside, the bear had crossed to the neighbor's house, then further down the street.


trying to get in the garbage shed


a bear's profile


heading across the street

3 comments:

Robert Boyd said...

Holy cow, that was in your neighborhood?

ina said...

Yup. We've seen a few of them on our street, but this is the first time I've gotten a picture. I imagine once our blueberry bushes make enough blueberries, the bears will love our house...

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What excitement to have bears in the garden. I just found your blog so I don't know where you live but bears in the garden could be scary. Especially if the girls were outside.