Monday, January 12, 2009

Pictures of pictures




When I saw this post at m.heart's place this morning, it sent me looking for this photograph. I apologize for the poor picture quality, since I don't know how to work my scanner, you get a picture of a picture.

I took this picture from the window of an art gallery during my friend's father's opening. I had taken a series of portraits of my friend in a nook by the window. When I looked out the window, I saw this message painted there. "You want this, too." Yes, I thought, I do want this, too -- the life of a professional artist, building and showing a body of work. It is a comforting thought to me that even the walls outside knew this about me.

The hunt through boxes of pictures revealed some other treasures.



This is my favorite Halloween costume. As an adult, before I had children, my costumes always involved fake blood and zombie make-up. Usually I had a head wound that dripped aesthetically down my face. For the costume pictured, though, I chose instead "the heartless bitch," 'cause she always gets her man (and I never did)! Huh, it doesn't seem as amusing typed here as it did saying it at that party. Oh, curse you, maturity!




"Look up, mom!" This picture is from my mother's first trip to New York to visit me. It was January. It was wind-chill below zero her whole trip, so I have lots of photographs of us at tourist spots with scarves wrapped over our faces! It is still hard for me to believe that these buildings are gone. It is hard to believe that the Supreme Court was allowed to make a partisan decision eight years ago, with tragic results.

Yet, I am willing to believe that we are now on the path to healing. One week from tomorrow, we make it official.



Peace.

1 comment:

Umā said...

"you want this too" that's another interesting message to come across.

i may be over 35 but i am still planning to go to "zombie-con" in nyc (http://www.zombiecon.com) one of these years. there's something very appealing about the thought of riding the subways and clomping and moaning through retail stores with a band of other zombies...and i love your heartless bitch costume!