Sunday, October 26, 2008

Remember no [one] is a failure who has (virtual) friends


[You just need to watch the first 45 seconds of the video. After that, the person who posted it adds some music that s/he thinks is the perfect ending to any movie.]

I guess I could've added this:

Yesterday it was my birthday
I hung one more year on the line
I should be depressed
My life's a mess
But I'm having a good time

Maybe I'm laughing my way to disaster
Maybe my race has been run
Maybe I'm blind to the fate of mankind
But what can be done?

- Paul Simon

A quick tour of google to get the lyrics right shows me that I am not, by far, the first person to quote this song on a blog the day after my birthday! This online community is mighty mighty. Other than phone calls and presents from family, and a rainy, windy day spent in the house with my children, it was my virtual friends with whom I celebrated yesterday. They are the ones who gave me the "good to see you," so I could answer, "good to be seen." I am grateful for the community I have found. Thank you.

So I am joining Hecate on the kindness meme.

1) You have to have a blog to participate in this.

2) The first three people who sign up in the comments will receive some sort of kindness from me.

3) Those three people then blog about it at their place and offer the same to the first three people who sign up, who blog about it at their place, and offer kindnesses to the next three, etc., etc., etc., until the Kindness Revolution is unstoppable due to Newton’s Second Law, where f=ma.

4) The act of kindness can be whatever you like; it can be a little gift you mail to someone, or it can be something more intangible; whatever fits your circumstances, budget, or personality. It doesn’t have to be anything extravagant, certainly; just something to put a smile on a stranger’s face.

5) Link back to this post in your post.

My act of kindness: one virtual* or actual** original drawing by me for the first three people to post.

*by which I mean a digital photograph of a drawing sent through the inter-tubes
**by which I mean on paper, mailed to a snail address you provide privately

2 comments:

mrsb said...

Dang! If I hadn't signed up to do 2 of these already, I'd so sign up just to get some of your artwork! I'm already sending out things to 6 people, though, lol, so I'm done for now.

I wanted to make sure you have my email, so you can send me your info for the prize you won on my blog.

mrsbbradley AT hotmail DOT com

spocko said...

Whee! I want to wish you a happy birthday. I agree with you about virtual friends and celebration. When my dad died it was you all I wanted to talk to about it.

I like this idea. I don't usually do these chain letter posts, but I like the idea behind this one.

Someone I was with was talking to a friend I knew from work. She said, "I'll bet you are with Spocko because he is so funny." She said, "What really attracted me to him was how kind he is."

That was nice. I feel at times that it's just not enough, that being smarter or making a lot of money would be better, but maybe that is my un-evolved Guy talking.

If she had wanted a rich guy or a really smart guy she could have had them, but she chose me.
Kindness is a good thing.

LLAP,
Spocko