Thursday, August 12, 2010

This Morning's Experiment



I was gonna call them Blueberry Oddballs.
Then the almost-10 year old suggested Puffball Scones.





Folks who follow this blog know I make a lot of biscuits and scones. A lot. So they're pretty easy for me to make. Still, cutting all that butter and flour together is time consuming. And some mornings, especially when I've already poured the hot water in the pot to steep the garden peppermint, I want something quick. So I used the basic biscuit recipe I learned from Betty Crocker* and I substituted olive oil for the butter. I added a generous amount of cinnamon and some tumeric. And of course, blueberries. Then, instead of rolling the dough out onto a floured board and cutting shapes, I just dumped the dough onto the floured board, kneaded it very gently to fold in the blueberries, then formed loose shapes by hand.




Good morning.






Peace.


*Huh. I went looking online for the recipe to link to and the one I found was slightly different from the one in my cookbook. The basic recipe: Oven 450. 1 3/4 cup flour. 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder. 1/2 teaspoon salt. I mix it together with a fork. Cut in 1/3 cup shortening (I usually use unsalted butter). I use my fingers. Stir in 3/4 cup milk. Turn onto floured board. Knead 8 times. Roll. Cut into shapes (I use a small glass for circles or a heart-shaped cookie cutter). Bake approximately 18 minutes, until just beginning to brown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the photo. It's perfect.