Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wherever You Hang Your Hat




Last year when I was doing a major landscape redesign, turning most of my yard into garden, I purposely pruned the forsythia to create a little cove underneath for children to play in. Literary and cinematic memories, perhaps mixed with some blurry ones of my own childhood, had me imagining my girls using the spot for a dinosaur cave, a prairie house, an oceanfront restaurant, and many other kid-hide-out games. For some reason, maybe because there were so many other new sights to discover in our now nearly lawn-less yard, this forsythia fort never took hold.

Now, suddenly, this Spring, it has been discovered by the first grader in our house. She is so excited about it that our usually late sleeper is often the first one up and dressed, and she's out in the fort from right after breakfast until it's time to leave for school. She told me yesterday after school that she is even writing about it. When I opened her pack last night, I found this inside.





Of course, she figured out yesterday that her big sister wants to be a part of things, too, and that imaginative play is more fun when they play together. Sometimes, though, it's a retreat for one. And here is where I found her this morning.





Where do you go for a moment's stillness? Where do you call home?




Peace.

5 comments:

Robert Boyd said...

Oh that was very nice...

VforVirginia said...

So lovely. When I was a kid there was a woodsy vacant lot a couple of doors away from me that served the same purpose. It was delightful.

Now? Doesn't get any better than the view from my bedroom, with the sliding glass doors open and the ocean breeze cooling the ol' bod ...

Anonymous said...

gorgeous photos and sweet story, ina!

Mine was an easily-climbed tree. It would fit three of us in a pinch. :)

ThinlyVeiled said...

When I was small, I used to hide in a hole in the grape vines. I had a "birthday party" there once, with my dog, Duchess, a beautiful German Shepherd.

These days, I don't so much feel the need to isolate myself that way. Something about having a deprived childhood and finally finding love, blah, blah, blah.

ellroon said...

I remember creating hideouts in the bamboo and in the hedge. Delightful story, thanks!