Sunday, February 10, 2013

Ginger Scones





I have been making these ginger scones a lot lately. They are easy and delicious. 

I use the basic biscuit recipe, but before crumbling in the butter and adding the milk, I add a scant half cup of powdered sugar, two teaspoons of powdered ginger, and some chopped crystallized ginger. That's it.

 Ginger Scones

1 3/4 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 scant cup powdered sugar (I use not quite 1/2 a cup for some odd reason)
2 teaspoons powdered ginger
Chopped crystallized ginger (as much as you like)
5 1/3 tablespoons butter (unsalted, I used salted during the blizzard, it was fine)
3/4 cup milk (I often use plain lowfat yogurt mixed with water)

Preheat oven 450°. Mix dry ingredients. Crumble in butter with fingertips. Add milk, a little at a time, until dough comes together. Turn onto floured surface. Knead eight or so times. Roll out to about 1/4 inch thick or so. Cut into circles (I use a glass) and place on baking sheet. Bake 10 to 20 minutes. I usually turn the baking sheet after 5 minutes. Then check again after 5 more minutes. If you like your baked goods on the soft side, take these out as soon as they start to turn lightly golden. I prefer mine, or at least my ginger scones, to get a little crispy and almost caramelized, so I let them get pretty dark (see photographs).

Makes about a dozen. Serve with butter (or I bet cream cheese or creme fraiche would be delicious, too).



Peace.

No comments: