Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lemon Ginger Scones, Part 2







I made lemon ginger scones last Thursday to say thanks to a friend for helping with my computer. They were so delicious, I made some more yesterday! I used this recipe, with slight modifications (surprise): I used about a tablespoon of fresh grated ginger instead of the crystallized ginger, and I used a yogurt/milk blend instead of buttermilk.


I also didn't bother with the egg wash because I'm not a fan of that sort of thing and I'm lazy. When I made them yesterday, though, I did make a simple lemon icing (powdered sugar & lemon juice). Yum. I also used the zest from two lemons this time, instead of one, to make them extra lemony. And next time, I will either use a lot more ginger, too, or perhaps skip the ginger and try some sort of lemon lavender scone. Or lemon blueberry. Lemon almond. And on and on.

3 comments:

xan said...

Looks great, Ina! A question: you said it needed either more ginger or less/none at all/some alternative. Do you think that the ginger flavor was overridden by the extra lemon? Or are you or some member of your household not that big a fan of ginger anyway?

I love it in some applications. The local salvage store had a time when they got in ground ginger in squeeze tubes and I stocked up. Fresh ginger is v. expensive, only available at Walmart hereabouts, and dries up & withers before it all gets used. The tubular stuff, therefore, rox. :)

Thanks for the receipt. It will go in the Perpetual Email File of Atriotic Recipes, as soon as the server decides to let my email passwords work again. Why AT&T would outsource such a vital function to Yahoo of all places is beyond me... (shakes head, spits).

ina said...

Thanks, xan.

Yes, I think you are right: the extra lemon-ness probably overpowered the ginger. We all love ginger here, so I'd like to try it with more to see if that can balance the extra lemon. Or I could do a combo of fresh ginger & crystallized ginger for more concentrated bites of flavor. As for cutting it out altogether, I was just stream-of-consciousness-recipetizing! I could just as easily gone on a where-can-ginger-w/o-lemon take me journey. All are good paths :-)

And you're right about the trickiness of having ginger around. I am intrigued by this tube idea of which you speak. In fact, that may've been my problem: on Thursday, it was fresh grated, but then I stuck it in the freezer to keep it from spoiling and/or drying out. Grating frozen ginger didn't work nearly as well...

VforVirginia said...

FWIW, candied ginger is shockingly easy to make, and has to be 1/10 of the cost of buying it. You can google a recipe for it (you think *you're* lazy?) and make some pretty quick. Keeps extremely well.

We keep peeled ginger in a jar of sherry in the fridge. Lasts forever, and when you finish the ginger you can use the sherry in a stir-fry. (We're both pretty wild about ginger.)