Sunday, August 2, 2009

100 in 100, Day 62

self portrait in the studio
oil pastel, 17x14 inches


I'm still getting reacquainted with oil pastels and brushes. I enjoyed this one more than the last, so that's a step in the right direction. I like being able to play with texture.

I have been discussing with an artist friend* on facebook why soft pastels are so much easier for me these days than oil pastels or paints. What I've come to realize is that I like to be able to see all my color choices right in front of me as I draw. That way, I look back and forth between my picture and the colors, and my eye chooses what I need next. Working with oil pastels, I have a similar process, but because I have many fewer colors, I have fewer choices.

Working with paints, though, I'll have to create the colors, as needed, in advance, so it's a very different process. It's much less free and I'm still scared!



*You know who you are. Let me know if you'd like a link.

1 comment:

i know who i am :) said...

the greens are vibrant, not muddy at all.


not to worry, ina.

it's a lot like a recipe.

doing it will quell yer fears

thank you but no link. i wish to remain anonymous

XDDDDDDDDDDD