Friday, January 9, 2009

The Next Chapter

Today starts twelve weeks in a blogger book club, led by Jamie Ridler (thank you, Jamie). We will be devouring the book, The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women by Gail McMeekin.

The first chapter is Secret #1: Acknowledging Your Creative Self.

One way I am acknowledging my creative self is by deleting my secret blog that I used for Soul Coaching, and using my regular blog to follow this journey. I am creative, I am an artist, but I am still resistant to the language of this self-help genre. So I felt the need to hide. However, I am inspired and nurtured by this creative community, and I am ready for the next chapter!

As a single mother of two young daughters, I find the greatest obstacle to creating my own work is simply lack of time. Or at least I use that as an excuse! I am able to find some outlet for my creativity by making art with them. And they are already amazing artists (proud mama)!



by the 8yo


by the 6yo



As a visual artist, I paint, draw, and photograph. I am also a singer/songwriter, which is somehow easier on my soul. A couple days ago at the "tavern" where I spend way too much online time, folks were discussing some naked skiers. This reminded me of a time years ago when I had an assignment from a local arts weekly to photograph some winter sports. I called my favorite model, Nikki, grabbed the camera, the tandem bike, and some cross-country skis and went to look for snow. This is one of the fun moments...

Looking at this picture, I can feel the energy it took to make it: the naked artist sets up the shot, runs across the snow, hops on the bike and starts pedaling. It is invigorating!

Searching for that photograph sent me through my collection of self portraits, including some I made twenty years ago. It was energizing to reconnect with that young artist. She is still with me, longing to work again.

Self Portrait, Bather


Self Portrait with Nikki

This photograph is from a portfolio I did in college for my senior show. It is one of my favorite photographs. Although it is attempting to address a serious subject (or two!), when I look at it I see the joy that we had creating it.

I am awakening the artist within me.



Here's me with my band doing a 12-bar blues of mine that speaks to the need for in-home help (and though the song is gender specific, I'm open)!






Peace.

14 comments:

pen* said...

wow ina, that bather self portrait is quite awesome!
there's a real timeless feel about it...

can't wait to see more as the artist awakes!

Kavindra said...

You are a creative powerhouse!

I LOVE that you ran out into the snow and took that photo!

Way to be present to the creative moment. That's a great lesson for me.

Pearl Maple said...

Congratulations on taking on the 12 Secrets Challenge, am enjoying everyone’s posts and still working on something to share with the group.

It is hard to find the time to be creative when we all have so much going on in our lives but guess that is the point of projects like this is to recognize our need to be artistic in some form every day.

intothedawn said...

Your photographs are amazing! Even more so, because they are self portraits! Wonderful!

I'm so happy you are no longer hiding at your secret blog so that I can share this journey with you.

Genie Sea said...

Stunning photography, beautiful artwork by your little artists, and lovely music! This post has it ALL! I look forward to taking the journey with you and seeing your creativity unfold out of hiding :)

KathrynAntyr said...

I have tears in my eyes (from laughing) as I heard your lyrics ~ I too need a man at home so I can go out at night! Oh my. I'm a single mom who is squeaking in what ever time I can find to create and connect.

Your photography has such energy. They are timeless and moody and fun. I love your style. You are one cool lady.

Sacred Suzie said...

What a creative Goddess you are! Absolutely amazing and I adore the surreal and serene nude imagery, especially the bicycle one. It's my fav. Glad to see you here, totally free!

Rowena said...

I tell ya, the things we women have to do to keep the fire burning.

My father's an artist, and when I got pregnant, he told me he didn't think women could be artists while they had children. I sputtered and argued, but it has turned out so much harder than I thought... though not as impossible as dear old dad said it would be.

Love your song and your photos. Love your kids art, too.

Lisa said...

I was really interested in what you said about the language. That is often difficult for me, too.

Serena said...

let your creativity shine, ina!

i LOVE the pics...especially the one of you in the bath.

your daughters are wonderful creators too.

great music too.

i'm so looking forward to sharing this '12 secrets' journey with you.

Libby Spencer said...

Nice post.

Lisa PN said...

love the bather self portrait for sure!
it's so courageous of you to share with us all and for that i thank you.

looking forward to hearing more of your lovely lyrics and seeing more images!

chest of drawers said...

What an amazing voice you have!

Jamie said...

Amazing!! What a gorgeous range of work and it's all beautiful! I so loved being able to hear your voice and enjoy your performance! What a treat :)