Sunday, August 3, 2008

Puttin' On The Ritz

jk posted this last night at the tavern*
George Will says Obama is the Fred Astaire of politics, you can't take your eyes off him, he's a master of motion, but like Fred Astaire you wouldn't want his hands on a nuclear weapon.
jk | 08.02.08 - 10:28 pm |

I thought it was a reference to a new quote, but when I googled, I discovered it was from a piece in the Washington Post, 30 December, 2007.
So far, Obama is the Fred Astaire of politics -- graceful and elegant, with a surface so pleasing to the eye that it seems mistaken, even greedy, to demand depth. No one, however, would have given Astaire control of nuclear weapons, so attention must be paid to Obama's political as well as aesthetic qualities.
Over at the tavern, Phila responded
When your political exigencies oblige you to demonize Fred Astaire, you're really up shit creek. Phila, Pizen Sarpint | Homepage | 08.02.08 - 10:37 pm
Of course I hip-hip-hoorayed. Then I remembered what WGG says.
In the Corporate State, corporate media are State Media.





I'm dancin' as fast as I can!




*I know that it is commonly referred to, even by me, as "the crack den," but now that I'm blogging (gasp!), it doesn't seem so funny to say that I hang out in a crack den! "Tavern" seems to more accurately and flatteringly describe the place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi.

charley said...

no, it's a crack den.